Thursday, November 6, 2014

I am pretty sure my life is almost over....

It is that time of year folks - the tests my students have taken are on my desk, my red pen is in my hand and I get to dive into the minds of people who have spent 13 years in America's government schools.

Reading exams literally causes my chest to tighten, my left arm to go somewhat numb and words to form in my mind (and sometimes mouth) that would make Chris Rock blush.

For example.

Question six on my recent midterm exam reads:  Graphically illustrate and fully explain how falling gasoline prices could impact the market for large pickup trucks.  Then, graphically illustrate and explain how rising health care costs could impact consumer prices. 

Here is an answer I just finished reading.  As always, these are unedited.

"If gas prices fell.  That would mean our trucks could pay less and go further.  Our wal-mart trucks could rapidly supply thing in case of emergency disaster.  If this happened we could pay our drivers more which in turn make them value their jobs & take them seriously no falling asleep at the wheel.  The rising in health care cost is crazy.  If this is a forever thing our economy will be shot.  If we have to pay more for health care we have less money for the medication we need.  As well will the consumers levels for the meds.  Our hard studied pharmacist will have to get cut hours & pay this will lead to their familys suffering they will need a second job & will have less time with kids or any loved ones."

Yes, you read this correctly.  This is not uncommon, either.

People ask me all the time, "How is work?" 

My answer always hinges on whether I have had any tests to grade at the time they ask the question. 

I love teaching.

I hate reading much of the musings that are rolling around in the minds of my students.

Back to work.  Pray my wife doesn't find my remains slumped over a pile of papers...



1 comment:

  1. Hee hee hee hee hee! Hahahahah! Sorry, couldn't resist. Not every student can be as thoughtful and articulate as I was Professor Chambless....you know that.

    This one is hilarious. I guess if they read your blog, they could guess their grade before you returned their tests???? :)

    ReplyDelete