Thursday, November 26, 2020

Finding thankfulness after the death of my son

 



Today is Thanksgiving.   

Seven months ago today, on April 26th our son Gehrig died.

To say that the last seven months have been difficult would be like saying that torture is a somewhat uncomfortable experience.

Our family's loss has been one that has permanently scarred us.   Every waking moment - and even in our restless nights and dreams that come when we are asleep - we are tormented by the reality of never seeing him again on this Earth.

Gehrig William Chambless was a superstar of a human being - as well as a superstar in every endeavor he pursued.

His infectious smile, his easy-going demeanor and his giving spirit touched so many lives - and still does to this day.   

From the time he was a little boy he was, to me, a near-perfect son.   When he was a little boy he was easy to laugh, always eager to please and a pure joy to teach - whether it was as a home-schooling father, or as his baseball coach.   He wanted to be excellent in everything he put his mind or hands to.

His short stories, poetry and songs came from a mind that I could not comprehend.   

His athletic prowess in ice hockey, football and baseball was the stuff of legend.

Yet, it was his love of family that resonates with me most today as I think about what I am thankful for.

Today I have found myself thinking of parents who have lost children to miscarriages, or whose children lived for only a few hours after birth.  I have thought about parents whose children have died as toddlers and those who raised children who made it to adulthood but ended up awful human beings.

If we had lost Gehrig early in his life - or watched him turn into a bad person later in life - today would be one of immeasurable pain and regret.  I know I would be sitting here today wondering, "What would he have been like if he had made it past infancy?" or, "Where did we go wrong to have a young man turn out this way?"

I am truly grateful that on November 26, 2020 I can look back at the life we had with our son and know that for 21 years, 2 months and 22 days we were so staggeringly blessed by one of the all-time great human beings that thankfulness is the most appropriate emotion we should be experiencing today.

I love you Gehrig.  


To view his Memorial Service (which starts at the 3:50 mark) please see www.gehrigchambless.com 


5 comments:

  1. In Judaism, there is a tradition of pouring a cup of wine for the prophet Elijah at the Passover table. This cup is never drunk. Some may find it comforting to set places for their loved ones this Thanksgiving in their memory and with the assurance they will always be with us. Many seats are empty this year but none as acute as with the loss of a child. Thank you for having the courage to speak of the loss of Gehrig and sharing his gifts to the world for those who never had an opportunity to meet him. We must never take for granted the blessings we have been graced of our sons and daughters. Peace be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to hear this. Sorry for your loss. Prayers going up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read this. I will say more prayers as I know the pain never stops.

    ReplyDelete